Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

I accidentally cut my dog on s when I was trimming the hair

Customer Question

I accidentally cut my dog on his butt when I was trimming the hair I was wondering if should worry about infrections use some antibodic oitment or leave it alone
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I cut my dog while I was trimming the hair near his anus it's a very small cut but i was afraid of infection
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. You will need to keep an eye on it especially if the dog can reach it to lick at it as the mouth holds a lot of bacteria. If the dog cannot reach it, just keep it clean daily and apply a triple antibiotic ointment on it until it heals. If it swells, turn red or feels warm then there is likely an infection brewing and that should be checked by your vet.

If the dog can reach it to lick it then use an Elizabethan collar, ( cone) which will prevent the dog from reaching the area while it heals.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Sally G.