Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

Recently had a home security system installed with one of

Customer Question

Recently had a home security system installed with one of the squawk boxes plugged in by the back door. It was about than time, I think, her behavior started changed. It is incredibly loud and now, even making sure that it is disarmed, she starts running circle around me while I am trying to unlock the back door and let her out to do her morning business. To add insult to injury, she will not jump in my truck and I have to have help picking her up. She goes everywhere with me or I have to have someone she knows stay with her for my doctor appointments, groceries, just general errands.
She was a rescue from a shelter and I've had her about 2 years now. When I did get her, she came with a Thunder Shirt plus a bottle of tranquilizers which I have try to avoid giving to her unless there are fireworks, thunder storms, etc. I'm guessing she's about 7 years and we both suffer from PTSD.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

So she had issues with noise when you got her so it would stand to reason a buzzer might set her off as well. What you will have to do is desensitize her to noises you can control unlike a thunder storm which cannot be controlled. I would try lowering the sound if possible and gradually making is louder or if you cannot control the volume then take a recording of the noise so you can control the volume. You will want to start off low and gradually increase the sound and do this when you are playing with her. I found it helpful to play a sound all day long on a low set volume so the dog could hear it but it was not interfering with everyday routine. This way it becomes normal to the dog.

I don't find tranquilizers to be very helpful for thunderstorms as the dog usually knows they are approaching long before the human does and is already stressed over it. What I would try for anxiety is over the counter melatonin as this can be given morning and night on a daily basis. The thunder shirt too, works for some dogs and not for others.

I would do some positive reinforcement training with her on a daily basis to boost her self esteem which in the end also helps her to stay focused on you rather than what is scaring her. Clicker training works well but if the click sound is too loud for her then as a marker use your voice, one word, such as yes, as the maker cue. Reward with special treats such as hot dog slivers.

Below you will find instructions on clicker training and for melatonin dosing.

Many organizations now train service dogs for PTSD so I would also look into that for yourself. There are places where volunteers raise and train the service dog for two years and then that dog goes to someone in need. You just have to apply for the dog.

Clicker training/positive method training/ print off

http://www.clickerlessons.com/

video’s to see how clicker training is done, scroll down to videos http://www.clickertrainusa.com/clicker-training-videos.htm

Melatonin found in drug stores by vitamins
http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/melatonin-melatonex/page1.aspx

I hope this has been helpful to you and your experience here was a pleasant one. Please don't forget to rate the service before you leave so the company compensates me for my time. IF you need more help just come back to this conversation:)