Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My 18 week old pup has been throwing up days it has all been…

Customer Question
My 18 week old pup...
My 18 week old pup has been throwing up for two days it has all been food till I cut her food up yesterday then she started vomitting bio about 4 hours ago and it's now black
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
2/14/2016
Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 2 years ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Good morning, Lisa. Can I get some additional info? How long have you had this puppy? Is she drinking anything? Holding anything down? How many puppy vaccines has she had from your personal vet? When was her last fecal exam?

I have had her for about 18 weeks she can't hold down food and she is fully vaccinated not sure on the fecal exam
She is still drinking

Anytime we see red or black in the stool or in vomit, we worry about blood being present in the GI tract. This can be a significantly critical symptom of something being extremely wrong. Because her symptoms seem to be progressing for the worst, I would recommend that you have her examined by a veterinarian and opt to have lab work, a fecal examination and parvo test performed. She is young enough, despite her vaccine history, to have acquired parvo, intestinal parasites, etc. When it comes to blood in the GI tract, we are always concerned about not only hookworms but parvo as well. Without treatment, because of the vomiting, she is likely to be dehydrated and may required SQ (fluid under the skin) or IV fluid therapy to help get her back on to track to health. Your vet will also likely start her on medication to help with the vomiting, such as injectable cerenia, and antibiotics to keep the bleed in her GI tract from progressing to a systemic infection.

More info on parvo (please note, we normally see diarrhea but stool can also be solid in parvo puppies): http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2102&aid=467

Hookworms: http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2090&aid=747

If my answer has helped you, please take the time to leave positive feedback for me. This is how experts are compensated for their time. If questions remain, please reply and I will help you further.

I know she has always had a weak stomach as she has always vomitted after eating anything other then biscuits and we had a party the other night which she may of gotten into some food then could this also be causing it as i I stopped feeding her it was harder for the to throw up causing bio and looking painful she is still her usual self only quiet after been sick I have two other dogs (my mums) that do not have their vaccinations and they are fine
She has also had her heart worm injections

That can certainly cause the vomiting, but the symptom of a black appearance to stool or vomiting is an emergent one. With her being on Preheart 6, her chances of hookworm infection is lowered.

Even without vaccines, older dogs are less prone to contracting parvo. We typically expect that dogs who have had it in the past are also immune to it. What's more, if she's sick now (assuming it's parvo) it can take up to 2 weeks for other dogs to show signs.

Whatever the case may be for initial cause of her symptoms, the black you're seeing necessitates her receiving medical treatment. Without it, the potential of her symptoms becoming worse and her dying becomes a real one. When it comes to vomiting, there is a window of about 24 hours to watch and see.

Additional info here: http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2090&aid=3574

She also hasn't had any diarrhea still has a strong appetite and is full of energy?

Lisa, I am not currently in a location that allows me to receive updates from the website so I am going to opt out to allow another professional to assist you.

Dog Specialist: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 2 years ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

What type of human food did she get into? Is she still vomiting? Is there still diarrhea? If so, is the diarrhea black and tarry or does it have a very foul odor? What color are her gums? Have you taken a temperature rectally? With the vomiting do you mean she is vomiting bile like stomach acid?

Hi sally thank you she has stopped vomitting and is fine now

Okay that is good to hear. Sometimes human food that might be a bit fatty can cause pancreatitis and that can cause vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, fever and lethargy. So be aware of that as it does seem she has a sensitive stomach as you mentioned above.

I am going to direct you to a link to book mark on how to take a dogs vital signs so you can recognize an emergency which may be of help to you in the future. It is scary with puppies because they do dehydrate quickly and are apt to eat foreign items that can cause an obstruction of the bowl which would also show the signs you were seeing.

Wishing you two a very long happy life together:)

What is Normal in dogs

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/what-is-normal-in-dogs/page1.aspx