Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

, my 7 year old shar pei has developed a cloudy film in…

Customer Question
My 7 year old...

My 7 year old shar pei has developed a white cloudy film in his eye

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

Jake

Veterinarian's Assistant: Huh?

They named him jake

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

Outside of the eye issue he seems to be fine

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
2/13/2016
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 2 years ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Your dog may have glaucoma or Anterior Uveitis or a corneal ulcer or cataracts. All of these conditions can cause cloudiness of the eye. Symptoms of Glaucoma include conjunctivitis (red eye), discharge from the eye, light sensitivity, possible swollen eye. As the condition worsens and pressure increases, the pupil can dilate and the cornea becomes cloudy. It is important to diagnose this early to save the dog’s sight in the eye. Depending upon the underlying cause for the Glaucoma, the other eye could also be at danger as well. Treatment depends upon identifying the underlying cause for the increased pressure in the eye. You can read more about this here;

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/glaucoma-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Symptoms of Anterior Uveitis are similar and include redness, tearing, squinting in bright light, small or uneven pupil, cloudy appearance to the eye and a unevenly colored iris. Treatment for this condition may be topical or oral medication depending on the cause. You can read more about this here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/anterior-uveitis-in-dogs/page1.aspx

A corneal ulcer may also be to blame and may be caused by injury, eyelashes scratching the eye and has similar symptoms to those of glaucoma and anterior uveitis. The third eyelid frequently covers the eye so sometimes the eye is not able to be seen. You can read about this here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/corneal-ulceration-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Cataracts are another possible cause for cloudiness. You can read up on Cataracts here:

http://www.upei.ca/cidd/Diseases/ocular%20disorders/cataracts.htm

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/cataracts-in-dogs/page1.aspx

The following site goes over reasons for cloudiness of the eye.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/cloudy-eye-in-dogs/page1.aspx

As you have seen, this could be an emergency situation depending on the severity of the condition. However, some cloudiness as a dog ages is normal and called nuclear sclerosis. Cholesterol or triglyceride deposits can also cause cloudiness as well. I would have to advise you to have Jake seen by your vet as soon as you can. While it may be nuclear sclerosis as part of normal aging, it imight also be more serious and if not treated might lead to a loss of vision.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well.

Since there have been recalls on certain foods, please check the following site to be sure the food your animals eat is not affected. If it is affected, contact your vet as soon as possible. Have your dog seen if they have any symptoms.

http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/SafetyHealth/RecallsWithdrawals/

Our Shar Pei is seven years old
About three to four years ago I had surgery on one of his eyes due to overlapping skin
When I was caring for him, I would provide quality food and constant care. However, there was some family issues and
the dog had to remain with another family member and I don't believe they provided the same care I did.
Ive seen his current diet and it isn't good in my opinion.
I'm doing my research and I just want to know my options starting with the least expensive of course. Surgery is something I don't want to do however I understand it might be the only option.
So at this point his right eye seems to be completely cloudy with his white fil. His left eye seems to be the same but it isn't as bad as the right eye. Based on his behavior it seems as if he has lost at least 90 percent of his vision. He walks very slow and bumps into a lot of stuff.
What medication can I give him to possible help him?
Eye drops ?
Foods?in the last several months a white cloudy film has

At this pointm he needs to see your vet to determine the exact cause of the cloudiness. Glaucoma indicates pressure in the eye and reducing the underlying cause of the pressure may help. If it is cataracts you only have a couple of options. There are drops that might help with cataracts. You can see a review for one kind of drops below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgCtZ6EyasA

However, you need to know that is the cause before using any cataract drops. Foods are not going to be a factor for this type of situation. The fact your dog has already lost part of his sight is a concern. Have his eyes evaluated by your vet first to determine the actual cause and then you can ask for a referral from the vet for a surgeon and what cataract drops your vet feels might be appropriate for your dog's sitaution if indeed it is cataracts.

I can see his pupil but cant see his iris
unless his iris is black

A lot of dogs have a very dark brown iris which can be difficult to see especially if there is cloudiness present.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Just a quick followup to see how your dog is doing and if you found my answer helpful. If so I hiop you take this opportunity to rate.