Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM for 19 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.
2263760

Is there an ointment over the counter that I can purchase to

Customer Question

Is there an ointment over the counter that I can purchase to help my dog with an ear infection. It doesn't look bad wet, red and very small amount of black that shows on the cotton ball when I clean it. I have tried a solu
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: tion for mites from a vet store. She scratchs it a lot.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I know of a good one you can order on amazon.

Zymox

Use it twice a day for 7-10 days.

Most likely it is not ear mites. They are not common in dogs and they make a dry brown crusts. And both ears would be affected and not just one.

For the itching you can give over the counter human benadryl. 1 mg of benadryl, per each pound of dog, every 12 hours as needed.

For example a 50 pound dog would take 50 mg of benadryl every 12 hours.

Does that help? Do you have any additional questions?