Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Dog had patella surgery in Dec but after the surgery they discovered that the pins had fractured one of the little bones

Customer Question
He had patella surgery...

He had patella surgery in Dec but after the surgery they discovered that the pins had fractured one of the little bones on the knee, they put him on bandages for about 4-6 weeks and they just gave him the clear yesterday BUT... he walks all hunched up on his lower back tail wagging and can not sustain his weight on two legs.. the doctors keeps telling me everything has healed ... ia m so confused and concerned

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

I have from the bandages he developed sores which looks like they are clearing up it does not seem to bother him

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

He is on only 1 yo very good health till his patella issue

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
2/12/2016
Dog Specialist: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I do have a couple questions to see if I can better assess your issue.

Was it both rear limbs that were bandage, or just the one?

Does it seem like there is muscle lose in either rear limb?

Did your vet get x-rays of the legs before saying he was healed?

one rear limb, no idea about Muscle lose or how it would feel, according to him he said it was healed

Thanks for the information. There is no reason that he should have so many problems in the rear limbs. I would make sure that an x-ray of the knee was done to fully assess it. If there is still an issue with a pin, infection, fracture or arthritic changes; that should be noted on the x-ray. I would also be concerned about muscle loss in that limb if it was immobilized for a while. If there was significant enough muscle loss to cause weakness, you would should notice it. I definitely think something is not right here if he is that weak on the rear limbs. I would get him back to your vet to re-evaluate or seek a second opinion from another vet in the area. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John
Same, took him to my vet X-ray where done and found the L5 inflamed so more meds 😞

Well, it depends. If they suspect that he has a herniated disk at L5, and he still cannot walk, surgery to relieve the compression on the spinal cord may be necessary. If he is walking better, then continued pain medication and strict rest would be necessary. A combination of an anti-inflammatory, a central pain blocker and a muscle relaxer helps if there is just a bulging disk, a soft tissue injury or some other issue with the vertebra. If they think the inflammation may be more related to an infection, then antibiotics would be needed. Hope this helps.