Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My name is ***** *****. I am very worried about my 13 yr old…

Customer Question
My name is *****...

My name is ***** *****. I am very worried about my 13 yr old shih tzu. He has a growth on his eye that has grown to the point that it covers that eye. He can't really see now. Been to the vet but surgery is not a good option bc of cost and the fact that his heart and teeth are in bad shape. No one will groom him now so his face is covered. He smells so bad...I think its because of the infection in his eye. He is very lethargic and has been urinating around the house, including on couches. He never did that before.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I think i pretty much covered it

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
2/12/2016
Dog Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. It sounds as if your Shih Tzu's quality of life has deteriorated to the point at which having the final kindness performed should be considered. There are no conservative options for such a growth. His lethargy indicates that he's quite ill and his inappropriate urination suggests either a primary urinary tract disorder or his manner of telling you that he doesn't feel well.

Free now to run, jump and play

Or snooze in the shade on a sunny day

To sit for hours watching birds in the trees

Or to lie on the porch and enjoy the breeze

Free from sickness that made me weak

Restored to the dog that I was at my peak

You made the right choice for me my friend

Be at ease with yourself and let your heart mend

No more vets, shots or pill

And while you can't see me, I'm here with you still

For though you may think that we really did part

I'm there in your memories, I'm here in your heart

-------anonymous