Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My moms 15 pound dog ingested vivance 70 mg capsule

Customer Question
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
2/12/2016
Dog Specialist: Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian. replied 1 year ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you ...

1. This potentially a serous situation, with Vivance at doses of 1 mg/kg we see problems with agitation. At doses of 10 mg/kg we can see very serious effects such as heart arrhythmias and seizures. Your dog weighs 6.81 kg which works out as a dose of 10.27 mg/kg in Bella's case so you have to act quickly.

2. As with a great many toxins one of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try recover the drug that way, { As you have been trying to do } If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion then things should be OK . For the sake of speed I will give you a link so you can double check how to do this best : LINK { You can safely try twice with peroxide }

3. But also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs.

4. However if you fail to quickly induce vomiting then you should then given the nature of this overdose then you should take Bella to an ER vet without delay.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you. She did vomit large amounts but mom does not see a capsule/pill she can't take the dog to the vet cause she is elderly and home bound. I am in another state. I told her to try and keep her hydrated and pray At this point this is all we can do I think

Hello again,

Very glad to talk this over with you further ...

The main thing is that you Mom did manage to induce vomiting and if this was carried out within the first hour or so following ingestion then in almost all cases the dog will be just fine. Do not worry about not seeing the capsule or pill as these are designed to dissolve quickly in the stomach so very often they will not be visible in the vomit.

Also I should also be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your Mom's dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you. I will let you know if anything else happens

No problem, glad to be advising you ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your Mom's dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Vivance incident ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hi Bella,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Bella. How is everything going?