Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My name is ***** *****-. MY son's English Bulldog who are

Customer Question

My name is ***** *****-Ann. MY son's English Bulldog who are both living us for awhile spends a lot of time standing still and just staring. Sometimes he gets really close to furniture, door and walls and just stands there. He isn't interested at those time in other activities unless it's someone coming into the house
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He used to do this when his owner (my son) would leave him us. Sometimes he would stand there for as long as an hour. He is perfectly still while he does this. D
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have a couple questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible....

How long is he staying with you?

How old is he?

Can he be distracted when he's doing this staring?

Does he have any other unusual behaviors?

Has he always done this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They will be with me until March bringing it to a 4 month visit. They do visit about once monthly usually and if my son has to travel for work I get him!He is only 2 years old.Occasionally he can be distracted by play, someone coming home or food if it is meal time.He's been biting and licking his front paws a lot but they may need to be trimmed. He seems to do this more when he needs his nails done. He's been sneezing daily for about 3 -4 months but seems otherwise fine.
He only did this when my son would initially leave when he was staying with us usually with several feet between him and wall. Now there's maybe an inch if that frequently.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The last line should read that the dog is rarely farther than an inch or 2 from the object or wall that he is staring into.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

At first I was worried that this could be something like seizures but since he only does this from time to time and can be distracted it makes me feel better that it's not. Also, the fact he's only 2 helps me feel less worried since things like neurologic issues or organ issues tend to happen in older dogs, so that makes me feel a little better too.

If he's done this since he was a puppy, it's possible that this is just his coping mechanism. I actually have Boxer who stays with us who stares at the wall whenever he's pouting about something.

As long as he can be distracted during this time, I feel like this is just a behavior and not a medical issue.

That being said...if it gets to a point where he can't be distracted or if you notice any other odd behaviors such as pacing or snapping at invisible insects in the air, then you should have him seen, just to be on the safe side.

I hope this helps.

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Lisa