Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Dog is due to be in heat, not breed during last cycle, no nesting I guess, no weight gain, mainly indoor, plays outside,

Customer Question
She is due to be...
She is due to be in heat, not breed during last cycle, no nesting I guess, no weight gain, mainly indoor, plays outside, this level is about 1 1/2 days, but her attention to licking herself and wanting to lay down seems more pronounced to night. She was shaking a little when she came in tonight from going potty, we covered her up and she did a little better.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
2/4/2016
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 2 years ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

If she is excessively licking herself, it may be that she is starting to go into heat and licking the discharge to keep herself clean. However, dogs can also get vaginitis which can cause the vulva to be itchy and lead to a dog licking in the area. So she may have vaginitis or a skin dermatitis of the fold of the vulva. Usually with vaginitis there is a discharge, but she may be licking it so much, that it isn't noticeable. You can read about vaginitis here:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1629&articleid=929

If this is a skin fold dermatitis, You will want to keep the area clean and dry. Benzoyl Peroxide wipes are also effective for cleaning the folds as well and to keep bacteria in the area down. You should apply miconazole cream to help clear the dermatitis if it is yeast type dermatitis. You may also want to have your vet prescribe an antibiotic to help clear this infection up. Once the infection itself is cleared, keeping the area dry and free of bacteria with the wipes should help keep it cleared. You can read about skin fold dermatitis here:

http://www.recoverysa.com/dermatitis_pro.htm

http://www.acvs.org/AnimalOwners/HealthConditions/SmallAnimalTopics/VulvarFoldDermatitis/

If your girl is overweight, getting your dog's weight down will also help as being overweight does contribute to the amount of skin folds in the area.

You might go ahead and take a white napkin and blot the vulva to see if there is blood or if it is something else going on. Dogs can also get pyometra.

Pyometra generally occurs 60-70 days after a heat cycle. It is usually seen in older unspayed females but can be seen in any age. It is diagnosed by ultrasound showing fluid in the uterus. There are two types of Pyometra (open and closed cervix) Symptoms of open cervix Pyometra are a vaginal discharge that may be pus or bloody, lethargy, anorexia, increased thirst and urination, vomiting and diarrhea, and abdominal swelling though the dog remains fairly healthy due to the infection draining from the body. Closed cervix Pyometra symptoms are the same without much of a discharge, they appear very ill, there is usually weight loss and abdominal swelling and is much more extreme. Dehydration, shock and death can occur if not treated aggressively.

http://petcare.suite101.com/article.cfm/pyometra

Given her age, I'd be inclined to have her seen by your vet before the weekend.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well.

Since there have been recalls on certain foods, please check the following site to be sure the food your animals eat is not affected. If it is affected, contact your vet as soon as possible. Have your dog seen if they have any symptoms.

http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/SafetyHealth/RecallsWithdrawals/

I'm just following up on our conversation about Heidi. How is everything going?