Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

On Sunday my puppy tried to jump on the couch, to get to…

Customer Question
On Sunday my puppy...

On Sunday my puppy tried to jump on the couch, to get to someones food and fell backwards, he yelped pretty good. When I picked him up he was very agitated because he tried to really bite me hard. Since he has been limping around. I think he landed on his left hip. It is Tuesday and he is still limping, mostly holding his leg up. I just got laid off so I don't want to spend money at the vets if he is going to be Ok, but I don't want him to suffer either. How long should I wait and what should I be looking for.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

The dog is not putting any weight on his right leg when he moves around. He can put weight on it to reach up to put his paws on the edge of a chair, but when he is outside he mostly goes on three legs. The accident happened 48 hours ago

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
2/3/2016
Dog Specialist: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

I am sorry to hear what happened to your puppy. My name is***** am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

It is a back leg he is limping on? And he can stand up with his front paws on a chair, and weight on both hind legs?

I always worry about a broken bone when a dog won't put any weight on the leg, but it is good if he stands on it when he is on two legs. However, the only way to be sure he did not break or dislocate anything is an Xray.

Is there any swelling on any part of that leg?

It probably would be best to have him checked. Until then, you could try giving him aspirin to see if that helps him to walk on it better. How much does he weigh? You can give 1 low dose or baby aspirin per 15 to 20 pounds of body weight, twice daily, with some food. If he vomits, do not give aspirin again. Do not give any ibuprofen or Aleve or anything but baby aspirin.

Let me know what else I can answer or help with.

How is your puppy doing? Can I help with anything else?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?