Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I hav an 8 year old staff who spends every minute she can…

Customer Question
I hav an 8 year...
I hav an 8 year old staff bitch who spends every minute she can outside in our large garden and been here since 1 year old. Garden shared with next door neighbours Who just moved in with 2 1/2 year old male golden retriever. My dog has always had all patio and garden to herself and there dog charges across our patio and tried to explain terrortorial but neutral ground best to start but they don't seem to understand. Am I right to be worried as I think if she out there and he comes near my patio space she is likely to attack ?? Feel anxious all the time and I can't relax. Plus he has had no training
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/1/2016
Dog Specialist: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 2 years ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today

When the two get together what happens?

How is your girl with other dogs in general?

I introduced them on neutral ground and ok for five minutes and to carry on with this to start but then he came round back of house hour later and tried to run in back door but I managed to grab coco and he charged across stones on my patio and she was straight to the door hairs up but managed to shut quick. Dog appeared on pretext staying for few days but now permanent so trying to work with them. They told me unlikely to be put back as so muddy and take for walks instead and I said at moment don't let him near my patio or immediate grass in front as Def thinks hers but at the far end part but he comes out and charges round everywhere so she hears him and them trying to get him back shouting ralf. She has attacked a dog who casually followed his owner into my house and hell broke lose. In a park she is not bad with other dogs

Thank you for that information. So I would assume you can expect a problem if the neighbor's dog is not kept contained.

I would write up a letter to the owner explaining the situation and your fears of what could happen. Maybe the two of you could work out a time schedule to use the garden.

I am not sure what your dog laws are there, but I would check into that as well. It may not be okay to allow a dog to run loose.

I would also make sure you have a good recall on your dog so it comes the moment you call the name. If that does not happen now then it is time to practice and retrain.

I might also get the names of a few good trainers in your area and see if the neighbor is interest in using one of them since it seems she does not have control of her dog.

At least if you have something in an email or a text message of your concern for her dog running into your garden you are somewhat protected if something does happen. But again you would have to go over your leash laws in your country.

Spoken to owner lots as was told no pets purely cos my dog spent whole life here and she is very well trained unless she sees another dog on her territory ie right by back door and then she will put hairs up and I just try and grab her quick. Introduced as said on neutral grounds and was pleased with how went and then he is out the back with owner throwing tennis ball which is worst thing he could do in front of coco. Got sob story so said will try and work together but she has had this space all her life so it will take few months. They don't seem to get it so really can she ever accept after this time a dog out there not in far end garden but direct territory. FYI I live on own and always been just us 2. In summer she will sit on patio just watching and listening till 3 am if she can. Like she is on guard almost. She Never goes off. Have explained if don't want problems they hav to work with me and said they would never hav there's out back to start

It is possible that she will come to put the dog in it's place and the dog will not persist which then would have peace between them. It may take a couple of months since she has been the only dog for such a long time. You can have your dog on leash outside while sitting with you and give her something special such as small pieces of chicken or hot dog when they have their dog out so your dogs begins to associate good things happening to her when the other dog is out.

I would try that with the daily training and any good behavior your dog shows should be rewarded.

Was that your Baby in the picture?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Sally G.