Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog is in pain. I have a dog door and I think she was out…

Customer Question
my dog is in pain...
my dog is in pain. I have a dog door and I think she was out I the snow for bout 20min. If I try to ro she moves she yelping. and she is shivering what do I do ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
2/1/2016
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 2 years ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

If she was out in the snow, it is possible she slipped or twisted wrong and possiibly hurt a disc in the back or even pulled a muscle or tore a ligament. At this point it would be impossible to say for sure since she isn't moving on her own. The shivering definitely indicates she is in pain. Dobermans can be prone to disc issues. An intervertebral disc that has slipped or ruptured up into the spinal canal causes inflammation of the spinal cord, which in severe cases causes paralyses of the rear legs. You can read about this here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/intervertebral-disc-disease-thoracolumbar-area-in-dogs/page1.aspx
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/intervertebral-disc-disease-cervical-area/page1.aspx

Buffered aspirin can be given to a dog with a dosage of up to 5-10 mg per pound every 12 hours. Keep in mind that a dog's body does not metabolize aspirin in the same way as a human and thus should not be given more than a day or two without contacting your Vet. The aspirin may need to clear your dog’s system before other medications can be given, so keep that in mind if you decide to give aspirin and be sure and tell your vet when your dog is seen. Read side effects and precautions here.
http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/acetylsalicylic-acid-aspirin/page1.aspx

If you plan on having her seen by your vet fairly quickly, I would not give aspirin as your vet will likely give a stronger anti-inflammatory medication. If you give the asprin, the vet may not be able to give that medication. If you don't have her seen tonight, keep her crated or confined to a very small area. You do not want her moving as it may aggravate the existing injury.

It does sound like she is in a lot of pain, so a visit tonight would help her pain wise. If you are worried about moving her without anyone getting bit, you can make a muzzle for temporary use in order to get her in and out of the car and vets. Here are instructions on making a temporary muzzle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8CwNyfaU3g

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well.