Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My neighbor's dog ended up with a 1 in slit down the center

Customer Question

My neighbor's dog ended up with a 1 in slit down the center of the tongue after a dog fight this am. Is there any need to bring to a vet of does that heal on it's own? Can't imagine they would do surtures. Also, should it be on antibiotics (Clyindamycin?) and pain meds? (it's painful for it to drink water and I'm sure eating as well)
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dwight Alleyne replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Was there a fair amount of bleeding from the tongue? Can you tell if there is a fair amount of separation of the tissue with the cut?