Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I'm ***** *****. It's regarding my dog who has been vomiting…

Customer Question
HI, I'm ***** *****...

HI, I'm ***** *****. It's regarding my dog who has been vomiting for a few days now on and off

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

He is a 4 year old mutt, about 20 lbs. Eats and drinks fine, still going to the bathroom, does not seem lethargic, but has been throwing up his food. no blood in stool or in throwup

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
1/31/2016
Dog Specialist: Lisa, Certified Vet Tech replied 2 years ago
Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question. Just like an in person consult, I have some questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible....

Has he had any new foods, treats or people food?

Could he have gotten into anything unusual?

Acts normal otherwise?

Does he vomit immediately after eating?

Hi there. No new foods or treats, or people foodNot that I'm aware of or have seen. But it's possible during our walks he licks the sidewalk or somethingYes, otherwise acting normalNo immediately, usually a few hours after. He vomited for the first time 3 days ago, then stopped for the last day and a half, then started again last night.

Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

Since we've ruled out most worrisome things like intestinal obstruction or ingestion of a toxin, I think that we're likely dealing with digestive upset of unknown etiology...meaning, yes he's got some upset but we're not sure what is causing it.

Luckily, the gold standard for treatment of both diarrhea and vomiting in a dog is fasting. Generally the problem is acute (meaning it comes on quickly) and can be taken care of without much trouble.

If this were my dog, I'd fast him for 24 hours (providing he doesn't have any underlying diseases such as diabetes that require he eat every few hours). No treats, no food, nothing. You can leave a small amount of water available, but don't allow him to drink too much at one time (placing ice cubes in his bowl so that he can't gulp water will help).

After the 24 hours, I'd offer a bland diet of boiled rice and boiled hamburger (3 parts rice to 1 part burger) in VERY small amounts (perhaps 1/4 c every hour or so) for the next 24 hours. Once you start feeding the rice mixture, monitor the dog for recurring vomiting. If the problem doesn't start again, you can begin slowly mix in his kibble over the next few days until you're back to just kibble.

If the digestive upset persists for more than another day or so, or if your dog becomes lethargic, begins to have blood in the vomit or shows other 'unusual' signs, you should have him seen by a vet, just to rule out any sort of illness or parasite infection, but generally a day of fasting and then bland diet usually clears things up.

I hope this helps!!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Lisa