Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog ate part of a pen--probably the little spring and…

Customer Question
My dog ate part...

My dog ate part of a pen--probably the little spring and some of the plastic--he is a 45 pound mix aussie/cattle dog

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I wasn't sure if I should try to make him throw up? I did give him some bread and just worried about him passing it

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
1/31/2016
Dog Specialist: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Now when our dogs eat non-edible items, we do always need to tread with care. I suspect the spring will be flexible enough to pass, but if the plastic bits were sharp then they could cause issue.

With this in mind, when there are possible sharp pieces in the stomach, we don't induce vomiting and instead try to coat the item just as you did with the bread. From there, we'd want to keep supporting his body pushing these items out the other end. So, we will want to start him on small meals of bland food (ie cooked rice with boiled chicken/white fish or scrambled egg) for the next few days. Whichever you choose, you consider adding a spoonful of canned pumpkin to the meals. The fiber in the pumpkin will further encourage any material to move through the GI. As well, cat hairball treatment or a GI lubricant (ie Latulose, Miralax, food grade mineral oil) can also be added to these meals to help it slip through.

While encouraging passage of this material, you do want to keep a close eye on him. Specifically, we need to keep an eye out for any belly tenderness or pain when you press on his stomach, pale gums, straining to pass feces, passing blood in vomit or stools, appetite loss, restlessness, or black feces. If you did see any of these; then those are all red flags of a possible blockage or trauma and would require him to be seen urgently by your vet for an exam +/- xray.

Overall, we do always have to tread with care in situations like this. So, at this stage and in this situation, we’d want to use the above steps to encourage this to pass while we keep a close eye on him. If we can do this for the next 48 hours and see no issue, then we'd suspect we are out of the woods and that he has passed the material without bother. Of course,any of those signs and we'd be concerned about gut trauma or possible blockage and want him seen urgently.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian