Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

How does the splint stay on 12 week old puppy's broken toe?

Customer Question

How long does the splint stay on for a 12 week old puppy's broken toe?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** When I have a splint on a dog for a broken bone, it is typically on for 4 - 6 weeks. This is typically the time frame that is needed to immobilize that area to allow for a bony callus / healing to happen. With a young dog like this, typically the bone wants to heal quicker than if it was in the same location of say a 12 year old dog. I like to take an x-ray around 4 weeks to see how the bone is healing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's been about 5 weeks. He is very active. And is growing really fast. Do you think it's ok to remove the splint?
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

When splints / bandages are applied, they have to be monitored closely as they can become tight (especially in those that are growing quickly). I can't say it is ok to remove the splint as I'm not there to evaluate him / the case / or to take x-rays to see how it is healing. This should be something that your vet specifically makes that recommendation based on their assessment of the case.