Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

How does the splint stay on 12 week old puppy's broken toe?

Customer Question
How long does the splint...
How long does the splint stay on for a 12 week old puppy's broken toe?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
1/30/2016
Dog Specialist: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** When I have a splint on a dog for a broken bone, it is typically on for 4 - 6 weeks. This is typically the time frame that is needed to immobilize that area to allow for a bony callus / healing to happen. With a young dog like this, typically the bone wants to heal quicker than if it was in the same location of say a 12 year old dog. I like to take an x-ray around 4 weeks to see how the bone is healing.

It's been about 5 weeks. He is very active. And is growing really fast. Do you think it's ok to remove the splint?

When splints / bandages are applied, they have to be monitored closely as they can become tight (especially in those that are growing quickly). I can't say it is ok to remove the splint as I'm not there to evaluate him / the case / or to take x-rays to see how it is healing. This should be something that your vet specifically makes that recommendation based on their assessment of the case.