Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My name s ***** ***** I not sure if my dog pregnant. I think…

Customer Question
My name s *****...

My name s ***** ***** I not sure if my dog pregnant. I think she is she Pomeranian mix porkie right now her stomack is out and she seems to be more under me a lot loving

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

She didn't touch any of her food wedesday but she did eat it thusday and Friday alittle but she ate it up

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
1/30/2016
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 2 years ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

When was her last heat cycle?

Was she around any intact dogs during that period?

Did you see them achieve a tie (stuck together)?

has she been losing any hair on her belly?

Have her nipples become enlarged?

Is she eating more?

I think her last cycle was December, she was around intact dog around that time, I did not see them stuck together, I cant say about losing hair on her belly, her nipples is enlarging now. and I just fill her bowl up this morning but she did eat food yesterday. I need to know what type food to give her because she's eating kibbles& bits
she dose have fleas but im treating with advance for fleas and irritated skin she has been itching all year round what to do for that
her last cycle might been between nov and dec

Thanks for the additional information. It is helpful.

If you had witnessed a tie, then I could tell you that pregnancy was likely. However, if the intact male was around the female during her heat cycle unattended, then there would be a possibility that she is pregnant.

Signs of pregnancy are few until they are at least a month pregnant. Around week four of the pregnancy you might notice a thickening and the start of weight gain and some swelling of the breasts. Your Vet has a few different ways to determine if your dog is pregnant once they are this far along. They can run a blood test to confirm pregnancy based on hormonal levels. You can read about this test here:

http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/pregnancy-testing-in-the-dog/364

They can also gently palpate the abdomen at about a month after breeding to feel for puppy bumps. They can perform an x-ray during the final week of pregnancy (8th week) and look for puppy skeletons which with her breed would be a good idea. This method can give you a good idea of how many puppies your dog may have. Ultrasound may also be available at your vet and can help determine pregnancy in a dog. Once a dog reaches the 8th week of pregnancy, you can frequently feel the puppies moving around inside of mom. I find it best to have the dog on their side and feel between the rib cage and hindquarters above the breast area.

Puppies are born approximately 57 to 64 days after breeding with the average being 63 days depending on when ovulation occurred. If you are not sure when she may have mated, this won't help a lot, but you might start counting from 7 days into her heat cycle for a general idea.

False pregnancy does occur in dogs and the symptoms are the same as if they were indeed pregnant. If in the fifth week following mating your dog is experiencing these symptoms, she may be pregnant and should be fed a high quality puppy food. I feed any female that has mated a high quality puppy food until it is determined they did not conceive. A puppy food supplies her with the necessary nutrition to support any pups and her own nutritional needs.

As for her itching, the fleas are the likely cause if you have not had her on a flea preventative. You will want her on a good flea preventative such as advantage, frontline, etc so no fleas are transferred to the pups. If she has hair loss as a result of the itching, then it is possible a skin dermtitis is present such as staph dermatitis or yeast dermatitis. These skin conditions are frequently seen with allergies. Staph usually occurs on the lower regions of your pet and tends to have small pimple type bumps. Shampoo containing Chlorhexiderm and/or Oatmeal can help with this condition. Yeast typically shows as a greasy area that has a sweet musty odor. Sometimes the skin can become inflamed, darker and thickened due to itching. Yeast likes areas such as between toes, armpits and ears. Selsun Blue Shampoo can help with Yeast dermatitis. When shampooing, lather and leave on 15 minutes before rinsing. These shampoos are not meant to be a cure, just a relief until your pet can see a Vet. Benadryl can be given to your dog, the dose is up to 2mg per pound every 8 hours for itching due to allergies.

You can read about allergies here: http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/allergy-general-in-dogs/428

http://www.lbah.com/word/canine/skin-allergies/

Here is a site that goes over itching in dogs.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/pruritus-itchiness-in-dogs/page1.aspx

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer so I am compensated for my time.

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well.

Since there have been recalls on certain foods, please check the following site to be sure the food your animals eat is not affected. If it is affected, contact your vet as soon as possible. Have your dog seen if they have any symptoms.

http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/SafetyHealth/RecallsWithdrawals/

I don't understand what food should I give her now while she pregnant

I thought it was clear. A high quality puppy food is all that is needed. I like innova puppy foods but others like eagle brand. As long as it is puppy food, that should meed her nutritional requirements.