Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My name is ***** *****. I'm in the middle of moving from one…

Customer Question
My name is *****...

My name is ***** *****. I'm in the middle of moving from one county to another, I took my ***** ***** to local et to update rabies shot, & the vet discovered an exposed nerve on pup's tooth, Between moving and the vet's schedule, they can't schedule extraction till feb 27th. What can i give the dog for toothache?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Vet discovered an exposed nerve on pup's tooth, The vet said she believes my pup must be experiencing pain. Between moving and the vet's schedule, they can't schedule extraction till feb 27th. What can i give the dog for toothache?Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/pet-dog/6quor-give-dog-toothache-until-sees-vet.html#ixzz3yfiU6XSQ

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
1/29/2016
Dog Specialist: Dr. Andy, Medical Director replied 2 years ago
Dr. Andy, Medical Director

There will be nothing over-the-counter that can be used safely or effectively for long-term oral pain control.

I would not recommend drugs like aleve, aspirin, ibuprofen, or tylenol for this purpose.

So, you will need to ask your vet for a oral pain medication like Gabapentin or Tramadol to help.

Also, if not hypersalivating, eating normally, and not chewing awkwardly, you could be very conservative in pain medication given, as those are some typical signs to suggest tooth discomfort.

Good Luck