Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

My 12 yr. old mix breed female doggie has large indentation

Customer Question

My 12 yr. old mix breed female doggie has large indentation on LH side of face. Also shaking her head a lot. Told it could be tumor on nerve.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: She's eating just fine. Seems happy. Everything else normal.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

This certainly could be a tumor or a traumatic injury that has damaged this nerve causing atrophy of the muscles. Considering your gal's age and the fact that she is happy and not bothered by this, you probably should do nothing. The head shaking could be related to the neurologic deficit but have your vet check her ears to be sure. Often, they can have damage to a nerve in this area that you were not aware of and there is nothing that can be done for this. Just keep her happy.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****