Ann M.
Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

Gsd had stink bug in her throat. Found her eating off azalea

Customer Question

gsd had stink bug in her throat. Found her eating off azalea bush
Category: Dog
Expert:  Ann M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 10 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue.

Stink bugs can only cause mild gastrointestinal irritation, and it typically resolves on its own. If you are concerned, you can give 20mg of Prilosec once a day for a few days, or 10mg of Pepcid A/C once a day. If there is any vomiting, feed a bland diet of boiled chicken breast and white rice in a 50/50 mixture for a few days.

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was asking about her eating from azalea bush
Expert:  Ann M. replied 1 year ago.

I see... I thought you were saying that she ate the bug off the bush. How long ago did she ingest azalea leaves?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
40 minutes ago
Expert:  Ann M. replied 1 year ago.

Azaleas contain grayantoxins which can cause gastrointestinal upset (mostly vomiting, less often diarrhea), central nervous system, and cardiovascular signs in dogs. If there has been no vomiting, I would induce vomiting right now by giving 2 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide orally. You can go do that now, and then get back on here and let me know if the leaves come up.

Expert:  Ann M. replied 1 year ago.

Any vomit yet?