Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My name is ***** *****. My situation involves my 16 month…

Customer Question
My name is *****...

My name is ***** *****. My situation involves my 16 month old Labrador retriever, Luke. I dropped an AlkaSeltzer cold plus night time gel tab o the floor the other day. He found it. I had been sick and was taking this.He only had one and I pulled the outter shell away from him. This just happened. Will he be ok?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

It just happened so I don't know if he will be having diarrhea or vomiting. He had eaten dinner right before this. He weighs about 80 lbs.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
1/25/2016
Dog Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

The AlkaSeltzer Cold Plus Night Time contains only one ingredient of concern - the decongestant phenylephrine. We might see agitation in dogs receiving this drug although this is less likely when given orally rather than intravenously as when we're treating hypotension (low blood pressure). 5 mg of phenylephrine is also quite a small dose for an 80 lb dog. The antihistamine, analgesic, and cough suppressant in that product are all in too low a dose to be of concern. It's unlikely that you'll any adverse effects although it's always possible for transient gastrointestinal distress - inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea to arise after ingesting such an unusual product for a dog. There's no need to induce emesis or treat in any manner.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?