How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Candy Your Own Question
Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 11619
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Candy is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My Puppy licked some fudge off my finger lastnight, I could

Customer Question

Customer: my Puppy licked some fudge off my finger lastnight, I could tell his stomach was hurting all night, I made him drink water. He also woke up around 2am breathing hard for like 5 seconds. In the morning he pooped 3 times and he seemed fine. is there any reason to take him to the vet?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: thats pretty much my whole night. I just dont know if this chocolate thing is going to have an after effect.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I am sorry to hear your puppy got some chocolate and was not feeling well.

Chocolate can be toxic. The symptoms can rage from mild stomach upset and increased drinking to seizures and death. Chocolate is also high in fat and can result in pancreatitis. The level of toxicity would depend on the amount of chocolate consumed and the type.

A lick of chocolate could be enough to cause digestive upset but should not result in serious complications. If he was going to have life threatening complications we would have seen signs long before now.

If he seems fine now then I suspect the worst is over. In the future I would not allow any chocolate even a small lick from your fingers.

I would just keep an eye on him for the next 24 hours but I suspect he will be fine. If he stops eating, has any vomiting or seems painful in the abdomen then this could indicate that the pancreas has be effected and he should be seen by a vet right away.

I hope this helps to ease your mind. Please reply back if you have additional questions. If you have no additional questions please take a few moments to provide a rating to end this session so I can help the next pet owner in line. Providing a rating does not close your question and you can reply back at any time for follow up at no additional charge.

Candy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** it!
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome. Give him a good pet from me.

Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Hi,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Candy