Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My female dog licked herself down there. She had reddish…

Customer Question
Hi. My female...

Hi. My female dog licked herself down there. She had reddish brown discoloration around her vaginal area. I asked several vets about this - especially since she was diagnosed with renal disease - and surprisingly none of the vets ever encouraged me to have a urinalysis performed for my dog to see if she had blood in her urine. About a year after I had her she began licking herself. I only had her five years when she died from complications due to kidney disease. Shouldn't the reddish brown fur around her vagina have indicated blood in the urine? Isn't this something the vets (at least 6 different vets) have encouraged me to have a urinalysis for my dog?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Yes, I have been grief stricken for more than a year and a half since her death. I just happened to think if she was licking herself as often as she was and the area was discolored as it was - it seems to me this should have indicated blood in her urine and I am so sad that none of these vets ever encouraged me to have a urinalysis performed in view of her kidney disease diagnosis.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
1/25/2016
Dog Specialist: Lisa, Certified Vet Tech replied 2 years ago
Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Hi. Closer to the second picture of rhe dog lying on her back but my dog did not have the pink or red streaks emanating from her vulva. The vet wantd to excuse it as behavioral and I regret I didnt challenge her all those times I asked her and had one ordered anyway.

Thanks for the additional information.

So that red staining isn't from blood...it's actually called saliva staining and happens when a dog is regularly licking at somewhere, like your dog was. We often see it around the vulva, on the feet and under the eyes from tear staining.

I'm sure that you feel horrible, but I truly don't think that getting a urinalysis would have shown blood in the urine.

Had she had a urinary tract infection, you would have seen more signs such as frequent squatting with only small amount of urine or none at all, foul smelling urine, red urine, painful abdomen...and then as the infection progressed you would have seen vomiting, anorexia, extreme lethargy and a possible cessation of urination completely.

I'm so sorry that you're still hurting over her loss, and I wish I could tell you that it gets better, but there will always be a hole in your heart where she was. It might not be a bad idea to seek out a grief support group in your area. If you contact a local ASPCA or shelter, they may be able to point you in the direction of a good one.

I'm absolutely positive you didn't miss anything here, and I am just as certain that the urinalysis wouldn't have changed anything.

Well shortly before we were set to move out of state she which was less than a year begore she died I began noticing yellowish looking pus down there. Her vulva had increased in size and the reddish brown ring around her genitals had increased in size. What did that indicate?

It's hard to say for sure if it was purulent discharge (pus) or if it was just a normal vaginal discharge. Without a microscopic evaluation of the material, it's nearly impossible to know for sure.

Well do you think she was in any pain with pus and the expanded reddish brown stained area?

Absolutely not. My dog has saliva staining and it's not painful in the least. And since we're not positive it was pus, I definitely think she would have shown signs of discomfort.

What would the signs of discomfort be due to pus

It wouldn't be discomfort from pus...it would be discomfort from the infection producing the pus.

Things like anorexia, lethargy, vocalizing when asked to move.

She jumped into a lake unexpectedly a few months later. I gave her a bath but didnt put soap on her privates. Shortly thereafter she developed a huge stain that had pus. The vet called it a hot spot. My dog was in a later stage of kidney disease. Shortly after that she succumbed and it was awful. The last time I saw her underside her reddish brown spot had expanded closer to the center of her abdomen. There were red blod clots. Her hair had fallen out down there and there was pus. She strained to urinate. The vet I was using was unhelpful. What happened to my dog down there? Did she pick up something weird from the lake and/or was this a bad urinary tract infection?

Truthfully, you're going in circles looking for answers that you can't possibly find.

I could tell you that the hotspot probably just never healed...or that it was a UTI...however, you had 6 different vets tell you that this was a behavioral issue. You've said that the saliva staining looks like what was going on, which also points to a behavior.

By going over and over this, you're just making yourself more heartbroken. From our conversation, I've been easily able to tell that you're a dedicated pet parent who went above and beyond with your girl...but the sad fact is that no matter how long they live, it's never long enough.

What were the blood clots missing fur pus and enlarged vulva indicative of?

We've been over that.

It's likely the hotspot.

Not necessarily over that. We had not lived in the midsouth that long when all this seemed to come down at once resulting in her death. You are not a vet, are you?
What I mean is she did not have an issue with hot spots until we moved to the midsouth. I had never heard of hot spots until we moved there. I am paying for advice to help me determine what all that business was especially after she jumped into the lake. Do you have the knowledge to advise or not? Thanks.

Hot spots are just a term for moist dermatitis. we see it in heavy coated dogs. Sometimes it comes on after being in a body of water, but also some dogs just develop it for no reason.

If you're living somewhere warmer and more humid than you were before, it could have been caused by being in the lake, but I live in Northern MN where it's rarely hot and rarely humid...but we see hot spots here too.

I don't think that the hot spot contributed in any way to her death.

What were those blood clots pus and missing fur? Is that what hot spots do to a female dog?
Could you just answer the question please?
I feel like I wasted my money.
Instead of being evasive anf judgmental about my line of questions you could target the things Ive mentioned concerning whether or not a urinalysis was necessary to check blood in the urine or a possible bladder infection for a fog diagnosed with renal disease - as well address how those other symptoms might have or have not contributed to anything she ecperienced. Dont chastise me for asking questions and try to lay the blame at me for grief. I paid you to answer questions - not accuse me for what any perceived short comings. If you cant answer the questions and address the things I noted I would like my money refunded.