How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Deb Your Own Question
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 10262
Experience:  I have owned, bred and shown dogs for over 40 years.
60411192
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Deb is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog just licked a good amount of Vicks vapor rub. Is this

Customer Question

My dog just licked a good amount of Vicks vapor rub. Is this harmful to dogs
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for Sully and while I'd love to be able to reassure you that he'll be fine (and I hope he will be), the product has the potential to cause some issues.

The primary ingredient that may be toxic in this product would be camphor if enough is ingested. How much that might actually be isn't known since studies haven't been done on dogs to determine a toxic dose. In most cases, ingestion of this product might result in no signs at all or mild stomach upset. The essential oils have the ability to cause neurologic signs, but I wouldn't expect this to be a problem since there's such a small amount present.

If a large amount is eaten, it can cause moderate to severe oral irritation but it also has the potential to cause seizures too. If he ate it less than 2 hours ago, then I'd try to induce vomiting if you have fresh 3% hydrogen peroxide (it should bubble and fizz). The dose would be 1 teaspoon per 5 pounds of body weight, mixed with bread and walk him around. Then, repeat the dose in 15 minutes (but only once), if necessary. Not all dogs will vomit when peroxide is given but most will.

If it's been more than 2 hours or if you're unsuccessful, then I'd monitor him for any unusual signs and have him seen should they develop.

I hope this helps. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

I'm just following up on Sully. How is he doing? Deb