Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

It's snowing and my dog won't go out to pee. It's been over…

Customer Question
It's snowing and my dog...
It's snowing and my dog won't go out to pee. It's been over 12 hours. What should I do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
1/23/2016
Dog Specialist: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about Toby's dislike of the snow. Has he had similar issues in the previous years when it would snow? Is he otherwise eating and drinking normally? Is he still social and interactive with you otherwise?

This is the first time the snow has been this deep. So far he is behaving normally, other than refusing to pee when I took him outside.

That is good that he's behaving normally otherwise. Are you mostly worried that his not urinating will hurt him? For a normal dog that can urinate (no blockages of the urethra due to masses or stones), they won't hold their urine long enough to cause them any physical harm. Their body will recognize when they have to go bad enough and make them go. As far as getting him to go outside with all this snow, the most common thing that I've had work for owners is to use a shovel to scoop out a little run area of grass for them to have the texture / surface that they like.