Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I have a chihuahua and he is hanging s head and s head is…

Customer Question
I have a chihuahua and...
I have a chihuahua and he is hanging his head and his head is shaking. His neck looks swollen and is barely panting
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
1/22/2016
Dog Specialist: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I do have a couple questions to see if I can better assess your situation.

How old is he?

How long has this been going on?

Does it seem to be painful for him if you move his neck around?

Does the neck seem swollen because his muscles are tensed up or because the tissues themselves are actually swollen?

Is the entire neck swollen or just part of it?

He did this last Sunday. His tongue has a blue tinge to it but he seems to be breathing fine. His neck is sensitive to touch. He is 7 yrs old.

Thanks for the information. What about the swelling associated with the neck?

He is having temors so I think it's swollen from being tense

Thanks for the information. The bluish color to the tongue does concern me because he may not getting enough oxygen to his tissues. If he is not having problems breathing, that is good, but I would still have some concern with that. My first concern is that he has some type of injury or herniated disk in the neck. A herniated disk is more likely. Unless the herniation is high enough to affect respiratory centers, it most likely isn't related. Even then, his breathing would be labored. If this has been going on since Sunday, I would highly recommend having your vet check him out and even get an x-ray of the neck to rule out any potential fracture. At the very least, they can get him on some safe pain medications to help him feel better. There isn't anything OTC that is safe in dogs. Enteric coated aspirin is the only one, but it still has a high chance of causing gastrointestinal bleeding. Plus, it would really help to get him on some type of narcotic pain control and a muscle relaxer. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.