Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I'm a bit concerned about my 5 year old female dog Chimay…

Customer Question
HI ***** a bit...

HI ***** a bit concerned about my 5 year old female dog Chimay She is going through her heat cycle, and has'nt pooped in a day and a half There's been some things going on this week though. All last week we were with my parents and she had a different type of dog food. We came back on Tuesday and she went back to her normal food.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

She's peeing, in multiple spots like most females in heat do she been a bit off her food this week this morning she still hasn't eaten

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
1/22/2016
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 2 years ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

How long since her last heat cycle?

When she was with your parents did she have loose bowels?

what percentage of her daily amount of food is she eating the last couple of days?

Is it only today that she hasn't eaten anything?

Does she have any vomiting?

I'm not sure how long her last heat cycle was exactly..10-14 days
Her stool was firm at my parents, only one incidence of loose stool in the 7 days we were there
About 75 percent of her food, and she eating it throughout the day instead of one quick burst at mealtime
Today is the first day she hasn't eaten
no vomitting
My main concern is that she's constipated, and hasn't had a bowel movement since Wednesday

Perhaps I wasn't clear. How many months has it been since her LAST heat cycle? I know you are concerned about her bowel movement but I need to be sure there isn't something else going on.

I'll go ahead and give you information on constipation but if she had loose bowels at one point, then the food might have moved through her system pretty fast then and it will take few days for her to start defecating again normally.

Be sure and read the important note below before trying any of these methods. A one time use of a spoon of mineral oil on his food can be used but should not be used all the time. Since she isnt' eating, this might be difficult to achieve.

There are two methods I use for young puppies, which may work on your dog. It has never failed me to get any of my dogs large or small to go even when I didn't want them to and was just checking their temperature. I first try lubricating a rectal thermometer and take the puppies temperature. This frequently stimulates the puppy into going and it works for adult dogs as well.. If this fails and you have a nasal bulb syringe (aspirator), you can put warm water in it and gently squeeze a small amount into the rectum and see if this doesn't help.

You can use a children’s glycerin suppository depending on the size of your dog but the other methods are what I recommend you try first. If it is a smaller dog try an infant suppository instead.

IMPORTANT NOTE If your dog ate a non-food item, bone or rawhide recently or if your dog is experiencing other symptoms such as vomiting, not eating or drinking, severe abdominal pain, the dog needs to see a vet and not treatment for constipation. Dogs will often skip a meal when constipated so look for other symptoms as well. The above signs could indicate an intestinal obstruction, which you can read about here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/gastric-stomach-foreign-body-in-dogs/page1.aspx

if your dog becomes dehydrated. You can tell by pulling up the skin between his shoulder blades and seeing if it flows back down normally. If it stays tented or is slow to return to normal, your dog is dehydrated and needs fluids immediately and should see a vet as soon as possible.

If gums and tongue become pale and not a normal pink color or the rectal temperature is over 103F (101-102F is normal) or your dog becomes lethargic and non-responsive, your dog should also see a vet as soon as possible.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer so I am compensated for my time.

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well.

Since there have been recalls on certain foods, please check the following site to be sure the food your animals eat is not affected. If it is affected, contact your vet as soon as possible. Have your dog seen if they have any symptoms.

http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/SafetyHealth/RecallsWithdrawals/

Last heat cycle was about 5 months ago
Ok,
just did the test for dehydration, no issues there
the food she ate at my parents was grain and potato free all meat organic
how pale is pale for the gums and tounge?
white?

Ok. That is great that it was that long ago. The above post won't change based on the additional information. In older dogs that are not spayed, they can develop pyometra. Pyometra generally occurs 60-70 days after a heat cycle. It is usually seen in older unspayed females but can be seen in any age. It is diagnosed by ultrasound showing fluid in the uterus. There are two types of Pyometra (open and closed cervix) Symptoms of open cervix Pyometra are a vaginal discharge that may be pus or bloody, lethargy, anorexia, increased thirst and urination, vomiting and diarrhea, and abdominal swelling though the dog remains fairly healthy due to the infection draining from the body. Closed cervix Pyometra symptoms are the same without much of a discharge, they appear very ill, there is usually weight loss and abdominal swelling and is much more extreme. Dehydration, shock and death can occur if not treated aggressively.

http://petcare.suite101.com/article.cfm/pyometra

Since this seems like a normal heat cycle, I wouldn't worry about pyometra. Her loss of appetite might be the result of the changing hormones and constipation so that isn't too much of a concern unless it goes over 24 hours. You can put some syrup on her tongue to keep her blood sugar levels up and try my suggestions or get the glycerine suppositories to get her going again.

Most dog's gums are a pinkish color, so white or gray gums are a concern and might indicate anemia and possibly shock.

Thanks for the additional info, but at this point it has been over 24 hours
I'll try the suppositories if she doesn't have a bowel movement by this evening

I meant an additional 24 hours.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?