Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

I'm ***** ***** and my 12 year old dog coughs and shakes it

Customer Question

Customer: Hi, I'm ***** ***** and my 12 year old dog coughs and shakes it started last night but it wouldn't stop he went to sleep but he is obviously anxious he went outside a few times, drank water but still like and old man sill having problem breathing
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He is a 12 year old weimaraner, he never had any problems before except limping a little on his back but in the past few weeks he started coughing or clearing his throat a lot now tonight he's been pretty nervous going outside a few more times then usual and shaking like it would be cold but he is under blanket so I started to worried since he tries to sleeps and wakes up walks
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes since I am starting to get worried a bit. Thank you
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

Is it a harsh or soft cough? Any retching or gagging?

Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count his breaths for 10 seconds + multiply by 6)?

Are his gums pink or pale/white?