Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My 6 month chihuahua has had diarrhea 3rd day.the only shots…

Customer Question
Hi, my 6 month chihuahua...
Hi, my 6 month chihuahua has had diarrhea for the 3rd day.the only shots she's had are Parvo and the cycle is completed. She likes to smell everything and also pit everything in her mouth. I think she ate grass from the lawn. I heard to fast the dog for 12/24 hours, then follow-up with a bland diet, rice water, broiled chicken in small portions.of really don't want to take her to the vet yet.. $$$.lol.. Her activity is pretty much the same, before she got diarrhea.
Thank you, Joe.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
1/21/2016
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 2 years ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst

Hi JaCustomer,

If she is eating and drinking relatively normally, then it shouldn't be much of a concern as long as she doesn't become dehydrated. Diarrhea can be caused by a large number of things including an unusual treat, irritable bowel syndrome, disease, bacteria or protozoan infection. If your dog is eating and drinking normally, Kaopectate might be able to be used depending on the formulation. Read about this here:

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p/page1.aspx

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/bismuth-subsalicylate-pepto-bismol-kaopectate/page1.aspx

Imodium at 1 mg per 15 pounds one or two times a day can be given for diarrhea for SOME breeds. Read dosage information here that states Loperamide is also dosed at 1 capsule (2 mg) per 50 pounds (25 kg) if over 20 pounds (10 kg).

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/loperamide-imodium/page1.aspx

Some herding breeds like collies can have an adverse reaction to imodium so avoid using in collies and similar breeds.

http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/depts-VCPL/drugs.aspx

Canned pumpkin (not pie filling) will also absorb excess fluid in the bowel with just a spoonful added to the dog’s food. Some experts will recommend a bland diet for a few days of boiled chicken and rice. If the diarrhea continues, have your dog tested for parasites such as worms or a protozoan infection such as coccidia or giardia. `

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer so I am compensated for my time.

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well.

Since there have been recalls on certain foods, please check the following site to be sure the food your animals eat is not affected. If it is affected, contact your vet as soon as possible. Have your dog seen if they have any symptoms.

http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/SafetyHealth/RecallsWithdrawals/

Jane,
So your telling me to continue feeding her the same meal with canned pumpkin? How many days of diarrhea, before I consult a vet?

If she continues to have diarrhea after you start adding canned pumpkin (24 hours after), then you should have a fecal test done. If you have a relationship with your vet, then your vet may just let you bring in a stool sample and hold off on an exam until common causes like worms or protozoan infections are ruled out.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?