Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Our girl is a 16 months old and is a moddle, we have a

Customer Question
caravan and love to travel...
Our girl is a 16 months old and is a moddle, we have a caravan and love to travel, but she whines the whole trip, last time whined for 5 hrs of a 7 hr trip, we have tried doggie diazepam, a pheromone collar herbal sprays from the chemist and cotton wool in her ears, nothing works, but she seems to be better on way home than going. We are retired and she loves us to be both together always so I think she suffers from separation anxiety if one of us leaves her she whines also, please help, did not get her to leave her behind, but the whining is terrible, please help.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
She loves to be with us and jumps in the car willingly, starts winging as sone as engine starts
Soon
1/21/2016
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 2 years ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

It sounds like she may be getting motion sickness and the motion sickness is causing the behavior issue. It may not be causing her to vomit, but is making her uncomfortable. Motion sickness is worse if you can't see out a window. For this reason you might try her in the front of the car to see if that makes a difference or not. Dramamine is also used for motion sickness, but your Vet should be consulted before using Dramamine.

You have tried diazepam and DAP collar which should have helped with anxiety. I'd try the dramamine and dap together since the dap is not a medication. The dosage for Dramamine (Dimenhydrinate) for motion sickness is 2-4 mg/pound by mouth every 8 hours.

Any medication should be given an hour in advance to car trip. I have a dog that used to constantly pace and jump around the car as well and no training would help, but Dramamine helped even though he wasn't actually vomiting.

You might try giving the medication, waiting an hour and then put her in the car and just move up the driveway slowly so she sees that it isn't the same as it is normally. She may still be anxious since he is used to it making her uncomfortable at least initially. Be sure she has a seat belt to help her feel more secure or keep her from being jostled the entire trip too. Or use an open crate that is properly sized to her meaning that there is little room for her to potentially be thrown around on corners or sudden stops. Doggie seat belts are usually better in my opinion as they are more of a harness.

Separation anxiety itself is handled better with desensitization. Desensitization can also be used for the whining in the car if the dramamine doesn't help resolve the issue. Practice leaving the house, opening the door immediately and rewarding her with a hot dog treat if she did not whine. This teaches her that you leave but come back quickly. Once she seems to not do anything when you initially leave, lengthen the time she must be quet for you to come back in. Change the time as well. Make it 2 minutes one time and 10 mintues another, so she never knows if you are gone for an hour or gone for 2 minutes. It helps her stay calm for longer periods of time, just be sure you reward her when she is good.

Another thing that helps is to do things that might make the dog feel you are leaving and then don't such as putting on your coat or picking up your keys. Or leave without doing those things. This helps remove things that might trigger the dog to become anxious.

These should help her separation anxiety and boredom and help curb her whining. It will not be an overnight cure and will take work on your and your family’s part to be consistent in your interaction with her. Here is a site that also offers idea to combat separation anxiety.

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/dog-care/overcoming-separation-anxiety.aspx

When she whines, no one should reassure her or show her affection. When you do, that often encourages the behavior more. She should be rewarded with affecton and treats when she is calm.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer so I am compensated for my time.

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well.

Since there have been recalls on certain foods, please check the following site to be sure the food your animals eat is not affected. If it is affected, contact your vet as soon as possible. Have your dog seen if they have any symptoms.

http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/SafetyHealth/RecallsWithdrawals/