PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

I just started smelling some ammonia smell with my two dogs.

Customer Question

I just started smelling some ammonia smell with my two dogs. I have a brother sister Cavachons Bailey the girl drinks a lot of water that is not uncommon. Should I take her in. She seems absolutely normal other than what I smell. Thanks
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 year ago.

Hi Judy,

The ammonia smell and the increase in water consumption are two symptoms that indicate it's time for her to go to see your vet. They will likely want to run a urinalysis on her and also some lab work to ensure the ammonia smell is not caused my underlying kidney disease and/or diabetes. Until you're able to have her seen, make sure that she has free access to water and that she's urinating just as frequently as she's drinking. We want to be sure she's not drinking, but avoiding urination for any reason. Urinary crystals and stones are common in bichons and their associated breeds.

If my answer has satisfied your question, please take the time to issue positive feedback. This is how experts are compensated for their time with each customer, like yourself. If questions remain, please reply and I will be happy to help you further.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is not drinking more than normal. She loves water. She seems to urinate when needed. Weird
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is anyone there

I'm here. Thanks for your reply. I apologize, I misread your question to read that she was consuming a lot of water, which was uncommon for her.

The ammonia smell that you're picking up is still enough concern to warrant a visit. One second here and I'll provide you with some additional information.

It does take a few minutes for responses to come through on both ends.

Here's some additional information. Although she's a cavachon, she still will carry the breed predilection for urolithaisis from the bichon side of her breeding: http://bichonhealth.org/HealthInfo/UrinaryStones.htm

Here's some additional information on the ammonia smell that you're detecting, as well: http://bichonhealth.org/HealthInfo/KidneyDisease.htm

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks but probably like the vet visit better. I just thought I was going to get info and did but for a price and then wanting more to talk to someone. That would be 19 and then 18 for phone call 37$ ok but should have looked up myself for the same answers. My fault.

If you need a phone call, let us know. The same information will be shared there, as well. You'll get the most useful information from laboratory testing performed by your vet's office.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ūüĎćwill contact my vet

Let us know if you need further assistance.