Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog has been coughing and regurgitating foam past 20

Customer Question
Hello, My dog has been coughing...
My dog has been coughing and regurgitating foam for the past 20 days. She has been on antibiotics for the past 8 days. Blood work has been performed and also an ecography and an ekg. The blood work shows some problems with the liver, the eco looks fine and the ekg revealed some heart problem...My concern is that she is regurgitating everything she eats and drinks, and her cough is getting quite ugly, she coughs 5 hours straight. From the videos I have seen it sounds like kennel cough but maybe has complications already...Please advise. Thank you
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
1/20/2016
Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 2 years ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Good evening, Sabina. Thanks for your question. I need some additional information from you:

1) What antibiotics have been used, is she still on them? Can you post the name, milligram, dosing instructions and the frequency, please?

2) Are any medications being given like an expectorant or cough suppressant?

3) Is there any blood in the vomit?

4) Can you give me details on the echo/ekg? What was diagnosed as the abnormality? Any meds recommended?

5) Were any x-rays taken of her chest?

6) Have you been referred to an internist or cardiologist, or has the workup taken place with your regular vet?

7) I typically don't ask customers to disclose their state, but it may be useful to know where in the USA you're located---if you don't mind sharing the info.

8) You're welcome to post copies of labwork, x-rays, reports, etc. These may be useful in suggesting a route to take from this point forward.