Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog who weighs 10kg has just ingested one of my 30/500 co…

Customer Question
Hi my dog who weighs...
Hi my dog who weighs 10kg has just ingested one of my 30/500 co cocodamol tablets- well some of it. Will she be ok?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
1/19/2016
Dog Specialist: Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian. replied 2 years ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Hello Abby,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Abby

I have worked out an answer for you ...

1. Co-codamol contains codeine phosphate and paracetamol and really this type of drug is quite unsuitable for dogs.

2. One of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make Chug sick immediately and try recover the Co-Codamol that way, If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion { Two hours at the absolute outside } then things should be OK . For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

{ Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs }

2. However if you fail to induce vomiting and any odd symptoms occur then you should have your dog checked over by a vet without delay. In your case expected side effects would include vomiting, diarrhoea, inappetance, lethargy, and signs of abdominal pain.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again Abby,

I am just checking back in to see how Chug is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Co-codamol ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?