Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My 7 year old yorkie has an ear infection and ears hurts,

Customer Question
they are inflame and it...
My 7 year old yorkie has an ear infection and ears hurts, they are inflame and it hurts her when shakes her heads
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
1/19/2016
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 1 year ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

Has she been seen by your vet?

How long have you been treating her?

What ointments have been tried?

I'm probably going to have more questions once I get your responses.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
she saw the vet, but according to him this is an allergic reaction to her shots. All the medicines that they gave her seem to help her a little bit but not much, this is been going on for more that a year and I don't know what to do anymore.
They gave her Zymox QTIC DROPS, Hydrocortisone Salve, but I'm tired of seeing her suffer; I've asked a pediatrician friend Of mine and he prescribe Neomycin and Polymyxin B Sulfate and Hydrocortisone Otic Solution USP and I've started to put this drops in her ears but they are so swollen I know that some of the medication it's going in but I've wonder for there is anything else I can do

Hi JaCustomer,

Thanks for that information. An allergic reaction to her "shots" should have only lasted a short while. So if it was an allergic reaction, I would think it was to some other substance such as a food item or environmental allergen. In that case it is not going to get much better until you find the allergen and eliminate her exposure to it. I'll give you some more information on that in a minute.

The new drops are fine for use where a bacterial infection is present. However, if it is a yeast dermatitis, it won't have much affect. Miconazole cream from the drug store can help for a yeast dermatitis. It also helps with itchiness as well.

At this point, I would seek a second opinion of another vet in a different practice since your vet is not achieving any results. If this has been going on for this long, the infection may be in the middle or inner ear. When inflammation occurs in the inner ear it can cause issues such as nausea, stumbling and incoordination as the vestibular system is affected. Read more on this here:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2091&aid=1592

Since I really think that there is an underlying cause for the chronic ear infection, you may want to consider a food trial which basically is putting your dog on a limited ingredient diet such as venison and sweet potato diet and give no other treats or food during the trial. Do this along with treating the ear infection. It can take up to six week or longer to see improvement once the allergen is eliminated so do not give up after a few weeks. Read more on allergies on the following sites.

http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/allergy-general-in-dogs/428

http://www.lbah.com/allergy.htm

So you might consider allergy testing. Read about that here:

http://www.varlallergy.com/index.html

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1587&aid=504

If the allergen can not be avoided, then desensitization shots can be developed to help eliminate symptoms.

http://www.vetrespit.com/why-respit.html

You might also try benadryl at a dosage of 1-2mg per pound every 8 hours. That can help with the allergic reaction. The otic solution should help with inflammation as well. With the inflammation reduced, it should help with pain as well. There really isn't a pain reliever I could recommend at this point. However, if she was my dog I'd probably elect to see a specialist at this point due to the time she has been dealing with this issue with no real improvement.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer so I am compensated for my time.

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well.

Since there have been recalls on certain foods, please check the following site to be sure the food your animals eat is not affected. If it is affected, contact your vet as soon as possible. Have your dog seen if they have any symptoms.

http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/SafetyHealth/RecallsWithdrawals/

I'm just following up on our conversation about Chloe. How is everything going?