PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

2 week old puppy out of a litter of 5 have loose dark stool

Customer Question

2 week old puppy out of a litter of 5 have loose dark stool and smells horrible. Please help me. I took one of my daughter's pups at 5 weeks had brain tram and spent xmas money getting her health again. So I'm a little strapped for cash flow. Momma dog ate a dead rotten carcass the other day does that have anything to with it.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 year ago.

Good evening, Evelyn. Can you give me some additional info? Has the mother of this litter had any preventive care such as vaccines before she became pregnant? A fecal analysis? Heartworm or other dewormer given monthly (if so, what is given?). How long has this been going on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
on vaccine and yes on monthly wormed plus the 2 times a year hookworm treatment. Not sure on brand wormer. Not sure on time lenght. Noticed it today when I went to mess with them after work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also noticed she never really filled with milk like what I'm use to. I mean she has milk just not alot but pups seem full and happy.

Are you able to provide the information on what dewormer is used, when and how often? That info is crucial. If you need to talk to your daughter, I can wait.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My daughter wouldn't know and not sure how you came to that assumption. I just take them to vet and they give her a chewable wormer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The dog I got from my daughter was from her litter of pups. Total different dog. Hers had brain trama. And she was 7 weeks old then .this my litter of accidently litter of husky and boxer pups

I mentioned your daughter as you'd originally said you had taken a pup from her. It sounded like this was the same dog, but thank you for clarifying.

Because we do not know what type of dewormer has been given to the mother (but you did say that hookworm treatment is given 2 times a year), I would first be concerned that the puppies (not just the one with dark stool) may well have picked up intestinal parasites along the way. If the mother has them, the babies are likely to acquire them through her milk. Worms can also be acquired from their environment, though they're a little too young for this to be likely. Hookworms and roundworms are the most common when we consider those that young puppies may have. Most veterinarians recommend deworming puppies early, even as early as 2 weeks, because of the risk involved. Hookworms are typically to blame when we see diarrhea and suspect intestinal bleeding (which can result in a dark, tarry appearance to the stool). In many cases, once one puppy begins having symptoms, the others will then start having symptoms. The time line is right for hookworms to be the cause here. I would recommend taking a sample of stool in to your vet's office to have it checked, but no matter the outcome deworming is still recommended. In about 33% of the cases, a fecal may show a negative result but intestinal parasites still be present.

There are other parasites and protozoan that are common in puppies and this link discusses them at length:

http://www.carnivora.ca/html/learning_centre/parasites/index.cfm However, without a doubt, hookworms are the most common in puppies with the symptoms that you mention.

Your vet is likely to recommend a deworming regimen. One of the most common medications dispensed for this is pyrantel. You can purchase medications like this without a prescription and dosing information comes with the bottle: http://www.revivalanimal.com/Pyrantel-50mg.html?feed=BingShopping Your vet will need to dispense a syringe for dosing for you and may recommend a different deworming schedule for the puppies and the mother. Alternately, you can also purchase pyrantel from your vet, in a smaller quantity and there will be no lag time for shipment and dosing. Hookworms can be a death sentence for little ones like the puppy having issues. In some cases, they can pass away within 10 days of coming in contact with hookworms so it's imperative to work quickly to find a solution. Adults, on the other hand, commonly don't have diarrhea at all so it might have otherwise been difficult to know there were issues. Also, in some cases of heavy infestation, dogs must stay on a constant 2-4 week dosage of dewormer to keep ahead of the cycle (this is uncommon, but I've seen it in a few locations). In these cases, even monthly dewormer at a regular dose may not be enough to rid an adult of their intestinal parasites. Again, rare, but it does happen and is possible it's happened here if the mother is, by chance, receiving treatment that is effective against them.

If my answer has helped you, please take the time to issue a positive rating. This is how experts are compensated for their time. If questions remain, please reply and I will help you further.

Here is an in-depth dosing schedule for puppies and adults. If you need more info, let me know:

http://www.aquilakennels.com/pyrantel.php