Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My 14 yr old dog has become restless last night during the…

Customer Question
My 14 yr old dog...
My 14 yr old dog has become restless last night during the wee hrs pacing. When he lies down he keeps his butt in place and drags his upper body in a circle like a clock, sometimes making like a groan sound. Appetite/water drinking good. He went for grooming yesterday and had to jump out of car. Didn't seem hurt though at the time. He has a heart mummer and is lasix. Been having trouble pooping last few days. Small but not hard
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
1/17/2016
Dog Specialist: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 2 years ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

hello and thank you for using this site to help you. Because he is sitting on the floor and going in a circle he may be trying to relieve his anal sacs. If he was groomed yesterday and this has started happening today then they may have tried to express the glands during grooming.

When dogs have a bowel movement this usually breaks the sacs open, but if the stool is not firm enough then the sacs don't break and they can become irritating to the dog.

I would take a peek and see if there is any swelling or sores on either side of the anus.

In the mean time I will direct you to a site on the anal glands for further reading and to know if this is something your vet needs to look at.

Anal sac abscess picture http://www.my-pet-medicine.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/10/180px-Anal_gland_abscess.JPG

http://vetmedicine.about.com/cs/behavior/l/aa031104a.htm

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant