Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I think are dog ( male ) has been throwing up s food. I

Customer Question
I think are dog...

I think are dog ( male ) has been throwing up his food. I think he has a cold . ,What can I give him

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

He started 1-15 in the morning . After he when out side and it's stop and he was fine he we gave ground rice and boiled chicken . tonight he started again sound like he has a cold . this time he having a hard time he has the shakes

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?

Ok

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
1/17/2016
Dog Specialist: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 2 years ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

hello and thank you for using this site to help you.

Can you please tell me what breed of dog you have ?

How old is the dog?

does the dog ever eat non food items such as raw hides, bones, greenies, toys etc.?

Could your dog have gotten into trash?

Does he eat any human food and if so what?

When you say it sounds like he has a cold do you mean the lungs seem congested or the breathing is off?

Pomarianian 8 months
raw hides and greenies eats
rice and chicken
chicken is boiled and skinned no bones. sound like he's a little congested, he's resting right now with us, seems to be ok

Thank you very much for that information. I would worry about the greenies and the raw hides as these can cause an obstruction of the bowel which would cause vomiting. Eventually anything he eats will come back up. Other symptoms that may show up are change in stool (diarrhea/soft) lack of appetite, and lethargy.

IF there is a blockage surgery would be needed.

Check his gums and make sure they are not pale or white. If they are then seek vet help tonight.

If they are pink try to withhold food for 24 hours, then start your bland diet of boiled chicken and cooked rice. Give only a teaspoon to start and see if he holds it down. IF he holds that down for four hours then you can give him another.

With any congestion sounds in the chest, when there has been vomiting, then we worry about something he was vomiting getting sucked into the lungs. (aspiration) IF this happens then you would need to seek vet help. Keep a close listen to them over the next 24 hours.

Pink gum, and he ate a lot of chicken and ground up rice . he may have chew and grass or branches out side . are vet told us it's ok to give children soothe

your answer got cut off. What did the vet tell you to give?