Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

What is the oldest that my male Golden can breed?
, We…

Customer Question
***** *****, what is...

***** *****, what is the oldest that my male Golden can breed?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

We want to breed our 9 year old Golden block head. He certainly has the desire.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?

I can wait

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
1/16/2016
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 2 years ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

As long as your male has a clean bill of health from your vet,and that includes a heart check he should be fine to mate. I'd also be sure he is heartworm negative as well. If he has any arthritis issues that might affect his ability to naturally breed. The AKC will not recognize a litter sired from a male that is under 7 months of age or over 12 years old unless special documentation is provided. So there should be no problems there.

What you might want to consider is having his sperm harvested and artificial insemination done on the female to assure a safe feritization for your male with minimal health risks. A mounted dog can pull muscles and experience slipping which might hurt a knee, etc. It really isn't that expensive and may be the best option if he does have any joint issues. If you decide to do a natural breeding, then I would have a back up plan of artificial insemination set up with your vet in case a natural breeding does not seem like it is working out.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer so I am compensated for my time.

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well.

Since there have been recalls on certain foods, please check the following site to be sure the food your animals eat is not affected. If it is affected, contact your vet as soon as possible. Have your dog seen if they have any symptoms.

http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/SafetyHealth/RecallsWithdrawals/

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?