Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My daughter's dog is currently very ill. He just got out of…

Customer Question
My daughter's dog is currently...
My daughter's dog is currently very ill. He just got out of critical care a few days ago and was transferred to his regular vet. Anyway. When taken to Emergency vet he had low white count. Started on atibiotics and then brought white count up. However, he isn't producing many platelets and his count is 67. He won't eat. Still drinking. Feces is now orange. He will be re checked on Tuesday with a CBC. It appears something bad is really happening like bone marrow disease. What is going to happen to our poor little 4 year old Pom? Please help.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
1/16/2016
Dog Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'm sorry to hear of this with Mocha. Can you upload a copy of all of his test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy at home but Mocha's vet can give you one which you can scan into your computer and then give me file link or you can photograph the pages and upload them by using the paperclip icon above your message box (if you can see the icon) or by using an external app such as dropbox.com/ I need to see the complete CBC (complete blood count) to be more accurate for you. I'm particularly interested in his red blood cell count and appearance. When both the white blood cell line and platelets are decreased, a pancytopenia is most likely and a bone marrow analysis should be considered to clarify why that might be occurring. Pancytopenias (more than one type of blood cell line is affected) can result from autoimmune, immune-mediated, toxic, and overwhelming infectious etiologies and treatment varies the the etiology. Please respond with the additional information and further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank you. I will get the lab reports and try to upload. Let's say he has an autoimmune disease. Is that treatable? He just sleeps. Won't eat at all. Barely drinks. If I upload the lab reports to you, will I have to pay again?

Yes. Autoimmune disorders are treated with immunosuppressive doses of glucocorticoids such as prednisone +/- chemotherapeutic drugs. No, you're welcome to continue in this conversation indefinitely.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Mocha. How is everything going?
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian