Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My 2yr old husky ate 2pds of raw beef wendsday and now she…

Customer Question
My 2yr old husky ate...
My 2yr old husky ate 2pds of raw beef wendsday and now she been having diarrhea today. She still eats her dog food and drinks her water and is still very active but i dont know what i should do.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
1/16/2016
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 2 years ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Dogs can eat raw meat without it causing a lot of problems. However any unusual treat that the dog gets that they don't normally eat often causes diarrhea in the days following the ingestion. If the meat was not properly handled then it might have been spoiling which might also cause some diarrhea as well. Most of the time a dog's stomach will handle even meat that isn't as fresh as you would like with little problems.

Kaopectate might be able to be used depending on the formulation to stop the diarrhea. Read about this here:

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p/page1.aspx

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/bismuth-subsalicylate-pepto-bismol-kaopectate/page1.aspx

Imodium at 1 mg per 15 pounds one or two times a day can be given for diarrhea for SOME breeds. Read dosage information here that states Loperamide is also dosed at 1 capsule (2 mg) per 50 pounds (25 kg) if over 20 pounds (10 kg).

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/loperamide-imodium/page1.aspx

Some herding breeds like collies can have an adverse reaction to imodium so avoid using in collies and similar breeds.

http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/depts-VCPL/drugs.aspx

Canned pumpkin (not pie filling) will also absorb excess fluid in the bowel with just a spoonful added to the dog’s food. Some experts will recommend a bland diet for a few days of boiled chicken and rice. If the diarrhea continues, have your dog tested for parasites such as worms or a protozoan infection such as coccidia or giardia. `

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer so I am compensated for my time.

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well.

Since there have been recalls on certain foods, please check the following site to be sure the food your animals eat is not affected. If it is affected, contact your vet as soon as possible. Have your dog seen if they have any symptoms.

http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/SafetyHealth/RecallsWithdrawals/