Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

My 3 yr old lab mix jumped a fence in my yard and attacked

Customer Question

My 3 yr old lab mix jumped a fence in my yard and attacked another dog that also lives at the house. I saw no reason for the attack. Sparrow is my dog and has attacked this dog once before. Once I pulled him off the other dog he latched back on. Sparrow is on Prozac however I have not noticed any behavior change in the 10 months he has been on it. We have kept the dogs separate as a way to manage the aggression and this is the first time he has jumped the fence. The last time, 5 months ago, he attacked an un neutered male who was in my yard that I did not know was there. Sparrow has never hurt a human and does have good obedience. I also have Sparrow's 10 yr old mom. Any Help would be greatly appreciated as I live where I work is I can no longer keep my dog there and I DO NOT want this to happen again. I do not trust him.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

This problem is something that will take a lot of diligence on your part. Since we know the dog will attack it can never be left alone at this time.

If he is not neutered he should be.

Training will consist of the learn to earn program and daily training in obedience. I know you say that he is well trained but he sees it as his job to go after other dogs that encroach the property and this job should be the humans job. So he does not see you as being in charge. We want to change that through positive obedience training and the learn to earn.

Keep in mind that one of Prozac's side effects is aggression, so it may work for a while and then things can escalate over time. But you cannot suddenly take him off he would have to bee weaned off if you feel it is not doing the trick.

Again this is not a dog that can be left alone so you may want to train him to be in his kennel while you work or at least on his bed by your side until you can leash walk him outside.

Below is the learn to earn to help you take control over his rank in the home and there are links to positive obedience training which can be done in short sessions throughout the day to further your status to him and help him to know what you expect from him.

Reactions to Actions or Learn to Earn

Copyright Sally G

In some instances with training depending on how well the dog responds to the above training you may also want to incorporate a type of ‘learn to earn’ training as well.

What learn to earn training means is that you are taking charge of their entire life’s wants and needs. No more free food is put down in front of them. Keep the daily dose of food in a closed tin in the area where the dog is fed, call the dog to you and ask him to sit. When he sits, he gets a handful of food. Do this throughout the day using any command that the dog knows and the dog must obey that command in order to get some food.

You will also take control of when the dogs can play. The toys should have been put away before this but if they were not, put all toys away, then when you are ready to play take out a toy and play with the dog, when you decide play is over put the toy away again.

Petting does not come to them just because they nudge you, you decide when this takes place, which means you would call them to you and pet them at your discretion and ask that a command be obeyed . If they nudge to be petted, you ignore that, but you can give the dog a command at any time to obey and reward that behavior with petting. Again you always want to reinforce a behavior you have asked for. So even though you know the dog has nudged you to be petted, you don’t have to totally ignore the dog, in fact this is the perfect opportunity to turn that nudge into a trick or command and praise and reward the dog for that.

Anything your dog takes for granted such as you opening the door to let it out, putting on a leash to go for a walk, allowing it to walk though a door before you, etc. these are all privileges to a dog that come naturally due to the human’s repetitive actions over time but many humans don’t realize this.

So before you go through that door put the dog in a sit or wait and you walk through first then invite the dog to walk through. Again this should be rewarded with praise. Before you put the leash on you ask for a sit stay. Furniture is a no, no for dogs that have aggressive tendencies because it puts them in a higher charge over the others in the home, even children.

Dogs should not just be allowed on the couch without specific invitation if at all. This need to be close and cuddle is more a human thing than a dog thing. Dogs do like to be close to the one they love and respect, but sitting on the floor next to that person will be enough to please them.

This is not to say that no dog should ever be allowed on a couch, it is perfectly fine if you have stable easy going dogs. It is when there are problem dogs in the home that furniture should be off limits to all dogs.

As mentioned above, in most cases dogs have developed habits that some owners allowed and gave in to over time but did not realize it. What might be helpful to the owner is to sit and make a list of all the good things your dog gets for free by an action that you have let the dog do for years. This will help you to turn those free behaviors into commands or tricks that can earn a reward.

When the dog tries that action to get the desired reaction from you, stop and think, did I call the dog over to be petted? Did I tell the dog it is time to go out and that is why he brings the leash? Did I say let’s play so that is why he dropped the ball in my lap? All of those actions got the dog reactions in the past usually in a positive beneficial way to the dog. So now it is time to turn that all around.

Keep in mind that dogs do what works for them and if it stops working they usually stop doing it. So when they growl or snap at you when you reach for that bone, it usually works as the human won't take it. I would never suggest to take anything from a growling dog, merely explaining that this works for the dog so therefore they do it. Using the learn to earn program does not really give them a chance to become possessive.

Dogs that are well balanced within a group to begin with do not really need any of the above things to change; it is your right to spoil a well rounded dog! It is only homes with dogs in it that have social limitations around other dogs that should need the above direction.

Clicker training/positive method training/ print off

http://www.clickerlessons.com/

video’s to see how clicker training is done, scroll down to videos http://www.clickertrainusa.com/clicker-training-videos.htm

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

You may also want to think about training the dog to a hot wire on the fence if the fence is legally yours. This will keep him from hopping over it again. If you are not familiar with these let me know and I can explain more. I do have to go out to a service dog training but will be happy to answer any of your concerns when I return:)

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Sparrow. How is everything going?
Sally G.