Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I had my 13 yr old yorkie put down on Monday and I am hoping

Customer Question

Customer: I had my 13 yr old yorkie put down on Monday and I am hoping I did the right thing. His BUN was 64 Creatine 42 magnesium 2.9 Potassium 6.2 platlet count 412 he was still eating but bad diarehha and he drank a lot of water and was loosing weight and appeared to be in pain
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He was being treated for pancreatits, but also had conjestive heart. I had tomake a special diet for him. I just hope he was sick enough for putting himdown I feelso gulty
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for requesting me,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I paid thedeposit
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you still there

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below

1. So sorry to hear about your Yorkie. I know how upset you must be.

2. Over the years I have often been asked when is the right time to put a dog to sleep, there is no one easy answer for every case. But given what you have told me so far I am sure you did the right thing, where a dog has the chronic health problems you mention and is thirteen years of age then there is often little that can be done.

What it comes down to is day to day quality of life, if your dog was in pain and given the fact those those diseases particularly the kidney problem and the heart problem were just going to get slowly worse it is very clear to me that hard though this no doubt was you did just the right thing in sparing your dog more discomfort.

Again sorry for your loss ...

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you

No problem, very glad to have advised you, it's not easy when your pets get older ...

Regards,

Dr Scott