Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My dog seems to be having tooth pain, what do i do

Customer Question
my dog seems to be having tooth pain, what do i do
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
1/14/2016
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 2 years ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do at home except possibly give some aspirin for pain relief. Buffered aspirin can be given to a dog with a dosage of up to 5-10 mg per pound every 12 hours for pain.. Keep in mind that a dog's body does not metabolize aspirin in the same way as a human and thus should not be given more than a day or two without contacting your Vet. The aspirin may need to clear your dog’s system before other medications can be given, so keep that in mind if you decide to give aspirin and be sure and tell your vet when your dog is seen. Read side effects and precautions here.

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/acetylsalicylic-acid-aspirin/page1.aspx

Most tooth issues should be addressed by your vet and if you plan on having your dog seen fairly quickly, I wouldn't give aspirin. You may be able to get your dog to eat if you switch to a soft food until you can have your dog seen. I wouldn't wait though as tooth infections can spread infection throughout the body and lead to organ dysfunction.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer so I am compensated for my time.

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well.

Since there have been recalls on certain foods, please check the following site to be sure the food your animals eat is not affected. If it is affected, contact your vet as soon as possible. Have your dog seen if they have any symptoms.

http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/SafetyHealth/RecallsWithdrawals/