Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Dog has a lump on back right p. And appears to have a clear

Customer Question

Dog has a lump on back right hip. And appears to have a clear pus coming out L.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Now based on Buster's history and the photos, this looks like we may have had a soft tissue trauma that has gotten infected. If it feels like a lump, then an abscess would be a concern. Still if the material being expressed is clear and has no odor, then a ruptured cyst would be another possibility. Now looking at this wound, I am concerned about it healing. The edges do not look fresh and if there is infection that will retard healing.

Therefore, in this case, it would be ideal to have this checked by your local vet. If they express just puss and it doesn't look to be a very large abscess, then oral antibiotics can be used to clear this and facilitate healing. Though if it does extend into the tissue, we may need them to surgically open/drain the abscess or even remove the infected tissue (that is the same procedure for cysts otherwise they just heal, regrow, refill, and rupture again). As well, if they need to drain this, they can also look for any foreign bodies (often bits of dirt, debris, etc.) that often get into these wounds and prevent healing.

Overall, these would be our concerns for Buster. In this case while we can salt water bathe this area +/- apply Neosporin to reduce infection, it looks too angry and potentially deep to full clear this without the systemic treatment I have noted above.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Buster. How is everything going?
nekovet