Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

I have 2 dogs. I took the 12 year old Yorkie mix to the

Customer Question

I have 2 dogs. I took the 12 year old Yorkie mix to the groomer yesterday. The 2 year old German Shepard mix stayed home. when I brought the Yorkie home, the German shepard started growling and barking very aggressively at the Yorkie. They have lived together for 2 years. It has been 24 hours and seems to be getting worse instead of better. Help!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. I'm sorry to hear about this going on. Is this the first time that the yorkie has been groomed while having Sheila? Is it a different groomer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is not the first time, same groomer. Sheila has had this response before but not to this extreme and not lasting more than a few hours.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sheila shakes like she is afraid, the hair stands up on her back and then she lashes out at buddy
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Why is it worse this time around? That is not going to be known. This is something that I have seen numerous times with dogs and cats that went to the groomers / boarding facility / vet office and they return home to another pet there that reacts unpleasantly. Basically they are smelling something on the returning animal that is setting them off. Hopefully with some more time, the odor will reduce itself and Sheila will be less sensitive to it. The key thing is to give this situation time and to make sure that no bad interactions happen. Could you give the Yorkie in the bath to try and remove some of the odors? That is a good option.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can try, but she is growling at him from across the room
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Separating them for longer is definitely needed here. Maybe you could take them outside, each on separate leashes with two people (one for each dog) and letting them walk around and interact outside to see if that can help them later in the day.