Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My 5 month old puppy was diagnosed with giardia and cocidia

Customer Question

Customer: my 5 month old puppy was diagnosed with giardia and cocidia early november ...since that time she was on panacur and metronidizole the first time short duration the second time just metro and the last time just metro at higher dose for longer time period. During the time she is on metro diarrhea stops.. bowel movements are small but normal once competed the metro symptoms resume within 2-3 days .. what else could be going on here? is this life threatening.. i watch her like a hawk and will bring her back to vet for a blood and fecal panel to be sent to idexx..
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: other than she is 3.8 lbs i dont know what else you need
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes.. she has no vomitiing and good energy
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Panacur and metronidazole is a good treatment for giardia but coccidia is better treated with albon or baycox. Baycox would be an off label use. You can read more on this here:

http://www.capcvet.org/capc-recommendations/coccidia

In addition, her environment must be cleaned and disinfected. All fecal matter must be removed as soon as possible after she defecates to help prevent reinfection. Since it is spread in cysts that can wash off fecal matter and be deposited in standing water, you need to eliminate standing water in the yard as well.

In additiona, dogs can have exocrine pancreatic insufficiency (EPI). Some breeds are prone to a condition called exocrine pancreatic insufficiency (EPI). It's fairly common in GSDs but other breeds can also have this condition. It does involve the pancreas not working properly and as a result food is not broken down and not absorbed well. There is no clear reason why the pancreas atrophy, but it is believed to be hereditary in many breeds.

There is a blood test called Trypsin-like Immunoreactivity (TLI) that can be used to diagnose EPI as dogs with EPI have low TLI levels. Treatment will be a low fat and fiber diet and a pancreatic enzyme powder mixed in the food to aid in digestion. Most dogs will need treatment for life and sometimes have a bacterial infection as well and need treatment with an antibiotic for a week or so as well. You can read more about this here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/exocrine-pancreatic-insufficiency-in-dogs-epi/page1.aspx

The first thing I would recommend is making sure she is not being reinfected and ask your vet about Albon.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer so I am compensated for my time.

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well.

Since there have been recalls on certain foods, please check the following site to be sure the food your animals eat is not affected. If it is affected, contact your vet as soon as possible. Have your dog seen if they have any symptoms.

http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/SafetyHealth/RecallsWithdrawals/

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?