Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My dog just ate a new wet food. Seemed anxious after and

Customer Question
tried nibbling at the couch...
My dog just ate a new wet food. Seemed anxious after and tried nibbling at the couch then hacked a few times like he was trying to gag something up. I brought him outside and he hasn't stopped eating grass. What could this be?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
1/8/2016
Dog Specialist: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

All of his signs are suggestive of nausea from what he has eaten. This may be related to something in the new diet not agreeing with him or it may be a sign that you didn't wean him over onto the new food slowly enough. As well, we can see these kinds of signs with pancreatitis when dogs are fed too rich of a diet, but his signs are a bit too quick in onset for that.

In regards ***** ***** we can do just now, you can try to soothe that stomach with an antacid. Common OTC pet safe options would be:

*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)

* Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)
Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

If he can keen that down and settles, we can then consider resting his stomach for the next few hours. When we next feed, we can try the old diet or consider starting him on a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning him slowly back to his next diet (be it the new one or the old one).

Overall, this food sounds to not be agreeing with him. Therefore, we'd want to take the above steps to settle his stomach and halt these nausea signs for him. Of course, if he has any belly pain or the above aren't strong enough to settle this, then we'd want to have his local vet bypass his mouth with an injectable anti-nausea treatment to get him settled.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian