Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog has flea bites at the base of s tail and tail. He is

Customer Question

My dog has flea bites at the base of his tail and tail. He is crying. We gave him a flea bath and have frontline to put on later what can we do to ease his pain
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

If you are finding that Hank is uncomfortable with the irritation from the flea bites, then you are likely seeing the affects of allergic reaction to flea saliva. In regards ***** ***** this, we do have a few options. Besides treating for the fleas, we can also apply OTC hydrocortisone cream to the irritated skin to reduce inflammation and itchiness for him. Otherwise, if his bites are too diffuse to apply cream to all of it, then consider starting him on an antihistamine. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first. But often these can soothe skin irritation caused by flea bites for our dogs.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Hank. How is everything going?
nekovet