Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

Glynette, is my name. My soon to be3yr. old shih Tzu started

Customer Question
Customer: Glynette, is my name...
Customer: Glynette, is my name. My soon to be3yr. old shih Tzu started to couh and sneeze this evening. what should I do?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: This sneezing is different than she usually have, there is a cough included.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
I am going to bed and I will check 1/8/2016 after 5pm. I thank I made a mistake signing with you. I will check tomorrow . I may cancel.
1/8/2016
Dog Specialist: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

Does she have any nasal or eye discharge? If so, what color? From one or both nostrils?

Is it a harsh or soft cough?

Any appetite loss?

Any breathing changes? Does she sound congested with this?

No to all of the sbobe
I'm on my way to work I do not get off until 2 o'clock and I will call you I need a phone number that I can call you on at 2 o'clock this afternoon thank you

Thank you, Glynette.

Now I am sorry to note that I cannot offer a phone service to you at this time. Still I will leave my thoughts for your return.

Now if she has no discharges, breathing changes, and isn't feeling unwell with this; then we'd be most suspicious of a possible allergic airway irritation or brewing upper airway infection.

Since her signs are mild, there is some supportive care we can start to soothe this for her. To start, to allow her coughing, you can try a mild cough suppressant. Pet safe options we often use are Glycerin/honey cough syrup (with no drugs in it) or even plain honey. Both can be very soothing and can be given at a dose of 1-2 milliliter (~1/4-1/2 teaspoon) as needed. Alternatively, we can use Robitussin DM. Of course, if you use this, we only want to use this one with Dextromethorphan +/- Guaifenesin. Avoid similar syrups with dog toxic drugs (ie Paracetamol, Acetaminophen, Pseudoephedrine, Phenylephrine or caffeine, etc). Dose-wise, you can give 1/2 (half) teaspoon per 10lbs of body weight every 8-12 hours. Again, these can reduce throat irritation and coughing for our wee ones.

As well, since she is sneezing, you can take her in the bathroom while you run a hot shower. The steam will help loosen and clear some of the snot congesting her. You can also use a baby nebulizer/humidifier, but often dogs don’t like things held up to their faces. Therefore, we can often make little ‘steam rooms’ with her in a small room or big dog carrier covered with a sheet and a humidifier.

If she is building up mucus that the steam isn't shifting, you can also use saline nasal drops (like Ocean Mist or Little Noses but not anything medicated) to clear her congestion. Tilt the head back and drop two to three drops in one nostril. Again not a dog favorite, but it helps. After the drops go down, you can let the head up and wipe away any discharge that gets loosened. Then repeat with the other nostril.

Furthermore, to address allergy triggers for her sneezing and signs, I would note that you can consider trying her with an antihistamine like Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). This can reduce allergic respiratory issues and ease her signs. In regards ***** ***** we tend to give this at a dose of 0.5- 2 mg per pound of their body weight orally every 12 hours. Do note that we can see drowsiness and sedation with the higher end of the dose (just like people), so consider trying this at a low to mid range dose to start.

Overall, we do have a few concerns for her signs. Still, since they are mild, we can use the above symptomatic care for her. If she settles, we are happy. If this lingers, then we'd want to have a check with her vet so that they can start treatment for any airway infectious agents.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian